|Zoning Administration||Zoning Enforcement Office|
|Merchantville Borough Hall Annex||Niagara Fire Station|
|1 West Maple Avenue||22 East Park Avenue|
|Merchantville, NJ 08109||Merchantville, NJ 08109|
|(856) 662-2474 x 312||(856) 662-0900|
DECKS, PATIOS, GAZEBOS
Do I need a zoning permit to install a deck, patio, or gazebo? Yes. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements below.
Do I need a zoning permit to pave my driveway? Yes, you need a zoning permit, even if you are just repaving the same area, you still require a zoning permit. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements below.
What is the permitted height of fences? See Fence Regulations HERE.
Where can I install my fence? See Fence examples HERE.
What are examples of acceptable Ornamental Fences. See examples HERE.
Do I need a permit to install a fence? Yes, you need to file a zoning permit application for a fence. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements below.
Do I need a zoning permit to install a shed? Yes, you need to file a zoning permit application. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements below.
How close can I put a shed to my property line? What is the largest size shed I can put in my backyard? See Shed Regulations HERE.
You will also need to meet building coverage and total improvement coverage requirements, based on the regulations of your zoning district. They can be found HERE.
Do I need a zoning permit for a sign? Yes. Please see sign regulations below. You will also need to seek a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) if you are located in either the B-1 or B-2 zoning districts.
SWIMMING POOLS/ WADING POOLS
Do I need a zoning permit for a swimming pool? Yes, swimming and wading pools require a zoning permit and must meet zoning setback and fence requirements. See Zoning Permit for Structures and Improvements below. You must install a minimum 5ft high (maximum 6 ft high) fence with self-closing gates; swimming pools can not be installed closer than 15' to any side or rear property line. It cannot occupy more than 25% of the rear yard area for inside lots, and 5% for corner lots. Please note that when a pool comes down, the fence is also required to come down, as it will then be non-compliant with the Borough's current code. Also, see Swimming Pool Ordinance. You may also need a building and/or electrical permit. Please contact the construction office at x 309 with construction related questions.
CERTIFICATES OF NON-CONFORMING USES **Attention Realtors & Purchasers**
A person interested in land may apply for a certificate of non-conforming use from the Zoning Officer to certify that a use or structure existed before the adoption of the Zoning Ordinance, or amendment thereto, which rendered it nonconforming within 1 year of the Ordinance change, or may apply to the Joint Land Use Board at any time, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 40:55D-68. The Applicant has the burden of proof. Please note: the Zoning Officer does not have legal authority to issue a zoning permit for certificate of non-conforming use if more than one year has passed. In those instances, the matter must go to the Joint Land Use Board. For more information, see Nonconforming Uses.
I want to open up a business in the B-1 Central Business District or the B-2 Neighborhood Business District. What do I need to make sure I comply with local zoning requirements? Please read the Wecome Business Packet below.
2. Zoning Permit Application. Complete a "Zoning Permit Application for Uses" and submit the required application fee to the Finance office in Borough Hall. The Zoning Officer will review the application within 10 calendar days of a complete application. However, if there is a change of use from the prior use in that location, do not file a zoning permit application at this time. Instead, follow procedures in #3.
3. Change of Use If your business will be a 'change in use' from the prior use in that location, you must file a Joint Land Use Board Application for minor site plan approval. A 'change of use' is a change in the occupancy of a building, or portion thereof, that either (a) is not essentially similar in function as the last prior use or (b) has a different parking requirement as the last prior use. Additionally, you should contact the Construction Official at (856) 662-2474 x 309 to determine if you will need a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Continued Occupancy for the change of use.
4. Next step is to register your Business. All businesses must be registered with the Bureau of Fire Prevention, located at 22 E Park Avenue, prior to opening. See Business Registration Form. There will be an inspection.
5. Signs and Exterior Changes. If you are making any exterior changes to the site, including adding signage, you must first apply for, and receive, a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission prior to the exterior changes. Please see the Historic Preservation Commission page for more information.
6. Certificate of Occupancy (CO) or Certificate of Continuing Occupancy (CCO). Please contact the construction official at (856) 662-2474 x 309 to inquire whether you need a COO or CCO.
6. Resale Certificates. Lastly, if you are also purchasing the property, you will also need to fill out an Application for a Resale Inspection Certificate and schedule an inspection with the Code Enforcement Officer.
NEW HOME BUSINESS
I want to operate a business from my home. Are there any restrictions? Yes. The residential zoning districts allow home occupations in single family dwellings, but there are restrictions. Please see the regulations HERE. In some zones, professional offices are also permitted in single family dwellings as conditional uses. See Ch 94, Zoning Ordinance, below for more details. You must complete a Zoning Permit Application for Uses.
If you are seeking a variance from the Zoning Ordinance regulations, please go to the Joint Land Use Board webpage for more information. Please do not fill out a zoning permit application.
All Zoning Permit Applications must be submitted via hard copy to the Zoning Office. Electronic submissions cannot be accepted at this time.
- Property Maintenance Ordinance Chapter 60 B
- Sign Regulations
- Sign Computation Examples
- Swimming Pool Ordinance Chapter 75
- Tax Maps
- Zoning Ordinance Chapter 94 (please note recent amendments have not been codified yet)
- Zoning Ordinance Amendment - uses
- Zoning Map
- Zoning District by Block and Lot
- Nonconforming Uses
- Updated Fees