Merchantville Borough Hall Annex
1 West Maple Avenue
Merchantville, NJ 08109
(856) 662-2474 x 312
Welcome to the Community Planning & Development Department for the Borough of Merchantville!
The Department performs various functions related to the physical, social, and economic development of the community, including, but not limited to:
- Reviews and issues zoning permits for structures, improvements, and land uses;
- Provides planning and administrative services to the Joint Land Use Board (JLUB) and Historic Preservation Commission (HPC);
- Works with the Borough's Code Enforcement, Fire, and Construction Departments to protect the quality and character of the Borough's residential and business districts;
- Prepares grant applications and manages awarded grants for various community development initiatives, in coordination with the Borough Clerk;
- Proposes amendments to the Borough's Master Plan and Land Use Regulations;
- Prepares Redevelopment and Revitalizations Plans;
- Works with the Mayor, Council, and other departments on special planning iniatives;
- Works with the Mayor, Council, and the Housing Liaison to implement the Borough's Housing Element and Fair Share Plan;
- Assists with the Borough's economic development policies and serves as staff liaison to the business community;
- Updates the Borough's website for community-development related matters;
- Updates social media pages for events and business happenings.
Borough of Merchantville Master Plan
The Borough of Merchantville's Master Plan is a broad policy document that is intended to guide the future physical, economic, and social development of the community. It contains an inventory of the municipality’s existing conditions, articulates the community’s vision and goals, identifies its needs and resources, and provides policy recommendations for achieving them in the future. The Master Plan is intended to serve as the foundation for the contents of the Borough's Zoning Ordinance and development regulations.
1996 Centre Street Redevelopment Plan
2003 Maple Chapel Redevelopment Plan
2004 Town Centre East Redevelopment Plan
2008 Town Centre East Redevelopment Plan Amendment
2011 West Maple Avenue Redevelopment and Rehabilitation Plan
2016 Downtown Redevelopment Plan Amendment
Zoning and Board Matters
For information about zoning permits and/or Board matters, please go to those specific Borough webpages.
Down Payment Assistance Program for First Time Homebuyers
The New Jersey Housing and Mortgage Finance Agency (NJHMFA) has a state-wide, first-time homebuyer down payment assistance program anticipated to help 1,000 households meet their goal of homeownership in New Jersey. Funded through the NJHMFA, qualified homebuyers can now get $10,000 to make their home buying dreams a reality with the Down Payment Assistance Program (DPA). Please see more HERE.
Camden County Housing Improvement Program (HIP)
Do you need assistance making improvements to your home?
The Camden County Home Improvement Program provides assistance to single family dwelling units to correct housing code violations which are dangerous or injurious to the occupants. All financial assistance is in the form of a deferred payment loan up to $ 20,000.00. Deferred payment loans means that money is borrowed from the program to help pay for the repairs; there is NO interest charge and there is NO monthly payment. However, when title to the property is transferred, the loan is repayed to the program in the same amount that was borrowed. Please see the attached brochure for eligible types of improvements and for more details.
Low and Moderate-Income Housing