|Zoning Administration||Zoning Enforcement Office|
|Merchantville Borough Hall Annex||Niagara Fire Station|
|1 West Maple Avenue||22 East Park Avenue|
|Merchantville, NJ 08109||Merchantville, NJ 08109|
|(856) 662-2474 x 312||(856) 662-0900|
I want to open up a business in the B-1 Central Business District or the B-2 Neighborhood Business District. What do I need to make sure I comply with local zoning requirements? Please read the Business Welcome Packet.
2. Next step is to determine if it will be a Change in Use or Change in Tenancy If your business will be a change in tenancy (meaning that your business is essentially similar in function to the preceding legal occupant of the space, and the use utilizes the same parking requirement), then you will complete an Application for a Zoning Permit Application for Permitted Uses. If your business will be a change in use from the prior use in that location, then you must file a Joint Land Use Board Application for site plan approval.
3. Next step is to register your Business. All businesses must be registered with the Bureau of Fire Prevention, located at 22 E Park Avenue, prior to opening. See Business Registration Form. There will be an inspection.
4. Signs and Exterior Changes. If you are making any exterior changes to the site, including adding signage, you must first apply for, and receive, a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission. Please see the Historic Preservation Commission page for more information.
5. Resale Certificates. Lastly, if you are also purchasing the property, you will also need to fill out an Application for a Commercial Resale Certificate of Permitted Use.
NEW HOME BUSINESS
I want to operate a business from my home. Are there any restrictions? Yes. The residential zoning districts allow home occupations in single family dwellings, but there are restrictions. Please see the regulations HERE. In some zones, professional offices are also permitted in single family dwellings as conditional uses. See Ch 94, Zoning Ordinance, below for more details.
DECKS/ PATIOS/ GAZEBOS
Do I need a zoning permit to install a deck or patio? Yes. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements HERE.
Do I need a zoning permit to pave my driveway? Yes, you need a zoning permit, even if you are just repaving the same area, you still require a zoning permit. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements HERE.
What is the permitted height of fences? See Fence Regulations HERE.
Where can I install my fence? See Fence examples HERE.
What are examples of acceptable Ornamental Fences. See examples HERE.
Do I need a permit to install a fence? Yes, you need to file a zoning permit application for a fence. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements HERE.
SALE OF RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY
Before the sale of your property, you are required to obtain a "Certificate of Permitted Use" and a "Smoke Detector Compliance Certificate." See Forms below. Please bring your completed application to the clerk's office with you to pay the required fee. The Applicant will be contacted to schedule an inspection. See Inspection list.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Code Enforcement at 662-2474 x 310.
Do I need a zoning permit to install a shed? Yes, you need to file a zoning permit application. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements HERE.
How close can I put a shed to my property line? What is the largest size shed I can put in my backyard? See Shed Regulations HERE.
You will also need to meet building coverage and total improvement coverage requirements, based on the regulations of your zoning distirct. They can be found HERE.
Do I need a zoning permit for a sign? Yes. Please see sign regulations below. You will also need to seek a Certificate of Appropriateness from the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) if you are located in either the B-1 or B-2 zoning districts.
SWIMMING POOLS/ WADING POOLS
Do I need a zoning permit for a swimming pool? Yes, swimming and wading pools require a zoning permit and must meet zoning setback and fence requirements. See Zoning Permit Application for Structures You must install a minimum 5ft high (maximum 6 ft high) fence with self-closing gates; please confer with the Zoning office to make sure you meet all zoning requirements. Please note that when a pool comes down, the fence is also required to come down, as it will then be non-compliant with the Borough's current code. See Swimming Pool Ordinance.
All Zoning Permit Applications must be submitted via hard copy to the Zoning Office. Electronic submissions cannot be accepted at this time.
- Zoning Ordinance Chapter 94 (please note recent amendments have not been codified yet)
- Property Maintenance Ordinance Chapter 60 B
- Sign Regulations
- Sign Diagrams
- Swimming Pool Ordinance Chapter 75
- Tax Maps
- Zoning Map
- Business Registration with Fire Bureau Form
- Business Welcome Packet
- Dumpster Permit - Application
- Historic Preservation Commission Application
- Joint Land Use Board Application
- Zoning Permit Application for Permitted Uses - Commercial Occupancy
- Zoning Permit Application for Permitted Use - Sale of Commercial Properties
- Zoning Permit Application for Permitted Use - Sale of Residential Properties
- Zoning Permit Application for Structures and Improvements